Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Slowly, But Surely

Kyle's main developmental delay is speech. He receives speech therapy at home and also at preschool. He is a very vocal little guy and is always making noise of some sort. (Takes after his Daddy.) At first it was strictly babble, but it has recently turned into jargon...AKA "Kyle-ese". He has quite a few consistent words he uses frequently and plenty of words he uses every now and then. Not everyone would be able to understand his words or phrases, but I do and can make out what he is saying due to the context of what he is doing. As a homework assignment his speech therapist asked us to write a list of words he says, so just for the record I wanted to list them here. (Car, dog, clock, cracker, Kyle, daddy, no, yes, down, ball, up, duck, star, book, wee, what's that, oh no, all done, and Thomas, Dora, this is (have heard only once or twice.) I'm sure there are several I am forgetting, but the list will be a work in progress.
It's so cute to listen to him talk...his tone of voice is so adorable! His favorite word of all time is "car" which he must say a thousand times a day. Anything with wheels is a car, although he is beginning to understand there is a difference. "Oh No" is another one heard in our house countless times a day, considering he is constantly dropping something or being too mischeivious... it is very appropriate.
On the flip side of his communication skills, Kyle's receptive language (what he understands) is amazing. The child understands most of what we say which certainly helps a great deal and follows most directions like a pro. He certainly knows when he is in trouble and will lay his head down or cover his eyes with his hands. After a few minutes he usually wants a hug just to assure him that everything is OK. Oh, I love my sweet, affectionate, little boy!
It will be very exciting when Kyle and I are able to have a "true" conversation. When that time comes, I will most likely say, "Why was I so anxious for you to talk." Kyle has overcome so many obstacles in his two and half years and I have faith he will overcome his speech delay in the near future. He is definitely "My Miracle Baby", as well as "My Little Munchkin".

0 comments: